My first attempt at free motion applique was a thank you gift for the lady who taught us at quilt retreat how to do this technique. I knew she liked green, so that was my starting point - green with white dots for the 'wallpaper' background. I then decided to add a window with curtains, a little cobweb peeking out on the righthand side. I cut out each petal and played around with where I wanted them, plus two leaves, a stem and the flower pot. As a little 'in joke' I added a yellow/blue plaid 'tablecloth' because we have a running joke between us - I like yellow and blue together, she doesn't!
Then, because it needed something else, I added a little bee and the word "Thanks" since that's why I was gifting it to her. I have really enjoyed learning and now continuing to finesse it.